Monday, November 14, 2011

My Problem with the NBA Lockout...

I have to admit, I’m a pretty cool guy. Soooooo cool that I’ll give you the privilege of buying me a house so I can throw my INSANE parties with all the top celebrities and because you bought me the house you’re now invited as well. But I there’s rules you have to play with. Once you buy me this house, I can do as I choose. I can throw parties, or not, and that’s completely up to me.

You in?

Probably not.

You see I’m a firm believer that business owners should have the right to do whatever they want to do with their business as long as they 1) obey laws and 2) pay taxes. But when they take a bite of the forbidden fruit and accept public funding those rules change. At that point they have an obligation greater than themselves. And this is where my problem with the NBA Lockout starts.

Owners (some not all) wanted tax payers to pay for new arenas, and they did. But now they are in the middle of a labor dispute and have chosen to completely disregard the hand that fed them.  In any other business context, I wouldn’t be at odds with decision. But the NBA isn’t any other business. Those owners that accepted public funding have to understand that they have a moral economic responsibility to the municipalities that help fund their place of business.

They made their bed and now is their time to sleep in it.

But this is just my unqualified opinion…..