Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Valuable Lesson in Interviewing

My junior year in college I thought I had it all figured out. I was a 4.0 student who was also involved on campus.  In all honestly, at that point in time of my life finding a job was the least of my worries, thus when I was able lock an on-campus interview with a Big Four accounting firm I thought I already had it in the bag In my mind, no one deserved that job more than I did, and I'll be damned if anyone wanted it more than I did. 'Making it' was my destiny thus nothing could stop me now. However, just when I thought I had it in the books...........reality struck when I sat down in the interview waiting room.
There I was. A young, completely ignorant kid sitting next to a guy with a Bachelor's in Finance AND Economics, and was working on his Master's in Accounting. The man had dark hair slicked all the way back. If I didn't know any better, I would've thought this man was a young Gordon Gecko.
To make things worse, I didn't own a suit so I was sitting there suit-less with NO tie AND I had an exam immediately following the interview so instead of chatting it up with the recruiters, I was studying. I would be lying to you if I tell you that I didn't contemplate just walking out and running to my momma. Hell, I was completely and utterly embarrassed. How can I, a young kid with no experience, even be allowed to breathe the same air that this incredibly educated man next to me was breathing? Quite frankly, I was convinced Bank of America was secretly charging me for this privilege, but when I checked my bank account it was just the other ridiculous fees they charged.
Just when I started to pack my books up to walk out, the recruiter called my name and it was my turn. I then took a look at my watch and noticed that THEY WERE RUNNING 15 MINUTES LATE! Now, am I not only going to continue to be unemployed, but I'm going to fail an exam as my professor refuses to allow students to enter an exam late. This was quickly turning into one crappy day.
I had to do SOMETHING and it was at this time I went with the 'I-got-nothing-to-lose' approach. I decided before I even walked in that since I have absolutely NO CHANCE of getting this job, I rather be on-time to my exam instead. So I told my interviewer prior to sitting down that, I was going to have to head out early as I had a test to attend. To my surprise he didn't slap me, and was quite receptive. I figured this was cause the earlier I left his presence the better since he had young Mr. Gecko in the on-deck circle coming up to bat after me.
Then the usual interview took place. I tried to be the best me I could be. I didn't lie. I didn't try to make myself out to be anyone I wasn't. I told the interviewer I had little to no experience and that I had never really been in professional environment before. I even told him that my parents were immigrants and they weren't professionals either. I tried to find common ground and engage in small talk, but just as he got going telling me all about himself I looked at my watch and I had 5 minutes until my class started, so I stopped him mid-sentence and told him I had to go. I shook his hand and I went on my way figuring that I will never hear from them again. To my surprise, a couple weeks later I answer my phone and it was them. They wanted to bring me in for their office interviews.
Now I'm certainly not suggesting you to try what I did when you have your next interview, but I think there is a valuable lessoned to be learned from my experience. And that is qualifications/experience are important, however your soft skills can overcome short comings in those areas. For some reason, the interviewer saw something in me that he didn't see in Young Gecko.  Therefore, next time you have an interview to attend please keep in mind the following:
·         The human element is the most powerful weapon in your arsenal to win that job. You can have the IQ of Einstein but if you have the social skills of a doorknob chances are it's going to be tough for you to get the gig. Especially if the job entails client service.
·         When you're interviewing don't forget the importance of the relationship you are building with the person whose interviewing you (A big plus if you already built a relationship prior to the interview). Thus, find common ground to talk about. It's been my experience that the best interviews rarely discuss the actual job at hand. 
·         Give the interviewer a chance to answer any question you may have. Well I take that back, not 'any' question. In an interview there is such thing as a dumb question, therefore give the interviewer a chance to answer any 'good' question you may have. Then carefully listen to the response you get.
·         Be confident when you're walking into that interview room and don't worry about what you can't offer, instead focus on what you can.
But then again, this is just my unqualified opinion.....